I made the mistake of listening to Talk Sport radio immediately after the Liverpool – Villa game last night. It was full of irate scousers demanding that Rogers is sacked.
This is the same man that took their team within a Gerrard slip of winning the PL last season. Now I know their stars aligned with Saurez being on fire, one game a week and few injuries, but still, he took advantage and even with a very poor defence, he almost made a miracle.
Liverpool have the 5th most expensive squad and the 5th largest wages,in all likelihood they will finish 5th, plus they have reached the semi final of both domestic cups. That is at least par or better. What do fans expect ? On top of that they do play, and try to play , expansive entertaining football.
Now I am not saying Rogers is a great manager, what I am saying is that he is doing a decent job.
There is a proven 85% correlation between money spent and success across all major leagues. Of course that leaves 15% to buck the trend, and teams do. Southampton this year, Everton last. But is just stupid to expect a team to buck the trend every year. It seems though that this is what many fans demand .
The reality is that no team in the history of the PL has won it without having a sustained period of spending more than their rivals. People will point to United and claim they did it , but they didn’t, they just topped up their previous bigger spending on players that were still at the club and in their pomp.
Of course Arsenal did it , and did it three times, but we had Arsene and it was at a time where only United had a clear financial advantage.
People also point to exceptions in other leagues, Like, BVB, Atlectco Madrid and Montpellier, but they are not in the PL, and have only one behemoth club (Two in Spain ) to contend with. Also Atletico have won it once in 20 years. That’s 5% of the time, well withing the !5% exception rule.
Can managers make the difference? Yes ! But its in the margins.
Until fans accept that money is the overriding factor in modern football they are destined for constant heartbreak.
The “next level” that people want to reach can only follow the next financial level being reached first. That is why Arsene and the board should be praised beyond all others, Their planing and steadfastness have elevated Arsenal to that next leave. The squad now reflects that and I believe there are great times ahead,
A final word on Brendan. Its hugely unfair to compare him to previous Liverpool managers who, at the time, were managing the richest club with no financial competitors other than the sleeping United. Look exactly what happened when they woke up.
Pedantic George, AKA @Blackburngeorge